K2K-2012 - TLDR

This blog is about my motorcycle journey from Kanyakumari to Kashmir, about my desire of riding from the southern most tip to the far north on the Indian map which took me through 10,000 km in 23 days. Though i had shared this with friends before on different forums, i'm finally revisiting my travel log and carving it on stone after almost 6 years.

I cannot say "MY successful K2K 2012" because that would be an insult to all my friends and family who directly and indirectly helped me with their time, prayers and also by being an integral part of this journey. Without them this dream would have still remained a dream. This is a tribute to them. I am always at loss of words trying to do justice to my emotions while thanking them.

Its been 7 years of saving up and trying at every company i worked in to get a month's leave sanctioned. The first time i shared this desire, i was tagged a mad person and the most blunt criticism was "Why. Do you want to show off?" This actually made me sit back and think that night - did i want to do this because i wanted bragging rights? All the while, i was staring at a pic of a pulsar 150 looking at Pangong-Tso - this was my desktop background on my computer. So, i jumped on the computer and voila - i actually gave words to the emotion i was feeling then. I am so happy that i safeguarded it and am referring to it after all these years.

The Reason:
Sitting in front of a white screen on the computer. Not knowing where and how to start off. Close my eyes and see flashes of my past whizzing too fast and i am trying hard to grab on to the ones that have made me what i am right now. It makes me wonder where does that excitement come from, when ever i get ready for a bike trip? Why does that fever which i had the previous night mysteriously disappear as soon as i wring that throttle heading towards mother nature?!

Aaaha! Mother Nature, yes that might be the answer. 

Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe - Anatole France
Could not put it any better than this.

The thirst for nature in all its glory and the passion for biking is one sinful and very satisfying combination. This has kept me going, helped me in soul searching, given me new perspective, answered unknown questions. Yet no matter how much soul searching you do, daily life makes you forget most of it. And is there any better way to recharge your batteries than getting on a bike trip? Not for me.

I've travelled to beautiful places in Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu. The saying "Its the journey and not the destination that matters" holds good most of the times, but not always.

Being a biker, you interact with like minded people. You share information, experiences, make friends for life and get a glimpse into territory unexplored by you. At this point of time, if i were given an opportunity to choose my destination it would definitely be Leh. The very mention of the place reminds me of the divine waters of Pangong Tso, the arid landscapes which lead you to nowhere but take you everywhere, mother nature in its most unblemished state and above all, the challenges it poses to get there in one piece and be able to absorb all this. The cherry on the cake is, you get to ride on the highest motor able road in the world! 

This destination is the Holy Grail for any Indian biker worth his salt.

But something just does not make me settle in for the destination alone. Given its grandeur who would not want a befitting journey too? And what would be more apt than visiting the northern most tip after riding through the southern most tip of India.

I've been pushing my boundaries on every ride. Every time, there is one or the other parameter where i have upped my ante and touched new heights. Some are rewarding experiences and some are not. But past experiences are very valuable in our present experiments to achieve our future expectations in life.

I believe there is a special purpose for everything that happens. I believe that this trip would make me explore my limits, talk to them, coax them, conquer them. This would change something and what excites me most is that i do not know what that is.

When you wish for something intensely and truly, the world conspires to get you what you wanted. I see it happening in my life right now...

Hope you enjoy reading this 5 part blog.
Day 1 to 3 - Bangalore Kanyakumari Bangalore
Day 4 to 9 - Reaching Kashmir
Day 10 and 11 - Soaking in the bliss of Ladhak
Day 12 to 19 - The adventurous roller coaster of Leh
Day 20 to 21 - Separation pangs, getting back to realities of life

My experience in the shortest form.



Shubh Aarambh - My friends Santu and Kamli. They were there for me during the initial leg of the journey from Bengaluru to Kanyakumari.


Me and my lovely bike in full touring prep.


This is as far as my bike could go south. The road to Kanyakumari ends here. What you see in front is the ocean.


The hotel or should i say – the palace, i stayed in Rajasthan.


Srinagar. This is Sonamarg – the nature is true to the name of the place.... sona!


Truly majestic! A first in my life - i see snow and ice for real.


You get the best before the worst. Zojila Pass requires both physical and mental strength. I do not have the photos of the worst since both my hands were full time on the clutch and brakes.


You go through hell to see heaven! This is the amazing view of the Indus valley which is approx 30 km before Leh.


After getting almost mad without talking to anybody for close to two weeks, i find bliss in the company of my wife – no complaints from wifey = super journey.
Pooja flew down to Leh and then accompanied me back all the way to Pune.
I had company of another friend for life. He surprised me by getting to Leh on his 4 wheeler with his family. When ever the going got tough he was always there to help.



The best Buddha statue i’ve seen so far.


The double humped camels of Hunder. So beautiful, they are the Aishwarya Rais of the camel clan.


God just flipped the switch to ON – for the snow to start falling.
This is a glorious view for people who sit in the warmth of their hotel room. Its hell for a bike to actually cross these mountain passes to reach Manali (to get back to Delhi).


And this is what you get after the above